The heart of your home’s plumbing consists of the water lines and drain lines. When a drain isn’t operating properly, it can affect the entire house if the problem isn’t addressed quickly. Knowing the signs of a drain that is slow or beginning to clog up can help you to clean it while it is partially blocked yourself with a simple homemade drain cleaner.
Blockage signs are:
1) Slow draining sinks, tubs, toilets or showers
2) Gurgling noises coming from the drains or in the plumbing pipes
3) Slow water flow from any faucet
4) Water leaks inside the home or a leak outside in the sewer line
Most Common Causes of Blocked Drains
Fat and grease builds up in the kitchen drain lines and sticks to the sides of the plumbing pipes. As more greasy substances are washed down the sink it builds up along the sides of the pipes until there is no opening for water to drain. To avoid this, wipe out any dishes that have grease or fat on them with paper towels and dispose of it in the garbage.
Bathroom drains are usually affected by hair buildup, especially if your family members have long hair. It is normal for a person to lose a few strands of hair when showering but this also can build up and clog shower and tub drains. Using a device to catch stray hairs before they enter the drain can help in the bathroom.
Toilet drains become blocked from using too much toilet paper or from children flushing objects that are not meant to be flushed, such as toys or a full roll of toilet paper. Choosing septic safety toilet paper helps, because it biodegrades quickly.
All Natural Drain Cleaner
If you need to clean a slow or clogged drain, you can use this method for a safe fix that won’t harm your plumbing.
1) Scoop out all water from the slow drain and pour 1 cup of baking soda down the drain.
2) Pour 2 cups of boiling water down the drain.
3) Wait a few minutes and pour another cup of baking soda down the drain followed by 1 cup of vinegar. You will see bubbles.
4) Add 2 cups of boiling water to the drain.
This recipe can be used as a monthly preventative in all the drains in your home to keep them running smoothly without harming your plumbing pipes and fixtures.
If you’re having trouble clearing a clogged drain then contact the experts at Extreme Plumbing Services Inc today!